Born in London, the son of a stone carver, he initially trained as an architect before
studying sculpture at Lambeth School of Art under W S Frith,
and at the RA
Schools, where he won a Gold Medal and a Travelling Scholarship to
Paris and the studio of Antonin Mercie, 1887.
A central figure in the New Sculpture movement, he produced ideal
work and busts in marble and bronze, and received many commissions for
architectural and public sculpture throughout the United Kingdom.
These include the terracotta decoration on the Constitutional Club,
London (1883-6); the Sailing ship and Steamship bronzes,
Lloyds Registry, London (1902); the lions at Edward VII Galleries,
British Museum, for
J J Burnet
's London practice (1909); sculpture
on the VA
façade (1899-1908) and figures on St. Mary's Church, Oxford
For Glasgow, he devised and modelled the sculpture schemes for the Glasgow Savings
Bank, 177 Ingram Street (1894-99) and Kelvingrove Art Gallery
and Museum (1898-1900).
At Kelvingrove his models were translated into stone by the Glasgow-based architectural
James C Young
J M Sherriff
, who accompanied Frampton to Paris for inspiration prior to starting their work at Kelvingrove.
He also assessed the competition for the museum's pavilion figures,
1898, and personally produced the bronze St. Mungo group at the building's
north entrance, and the figurative reliefs above it.
In 1914, he was the assessor of the competition for the bronze groups on the Kelvin
Way Bridge, selecting
P R Montford
as their sculptor, and collaborated with
Charles Rennie Mackintosh
on the marble and wood Sir James Fleming Memorial Plaque for the staircase in Glasgow School of Art.
His public work includes statues of William Rathbone,
Liverpool (1899); Queen Victoria, Leeds and Newcastle (1901); and the
memorials to W S Gilbert and Sir Walter Besant, Victoria Embankment, London (1912-15).
Frampton's most popular work is Peter Pan in London's Kensington Gardens (1912).
After World War I, he executed the Pearl Insurance War Memorial,
High Holborn, London (c.1918) and the Edith Cavell Memorial,
St. Martin's Place, London (1920).
He exhibited at RA
from 1884, was elected ARA
, 1894, RA
, 1902, and
served as PRBS
Frampton was knighted in 1908, and died on 21st May 1928. His memorial
in St. Paul's Cathedral was produced by
, the sculptor of the Cenotaph in Glasgow's George Square.
Useful links to other sites: