Glasgow - City of Sculpture
By Gary Nisbet
James Robert Rhind
(1854-1918)
Born in Inverness, he trained under his architect father before moving to Glasgow where he became an assistant to A B McDonald , the City Engineer.

He later emigrated to Montreal where he made his name by winning the design competition for an important Canadian national exhibition but, after this was cancelled, he returned to Inverness, c. 1902, setting up a practice at 28 High Street.

In 1903-4, he won the competitions for seven District Libraries in Glasgow, opening a temporary office at 67 Hope Street to oversee their construction. These were:

Bridgeton District Library, 23 Landressy Street (1903-6); Dennistoun, 2a Craigpark (1903-6); Govanhill, 170 Langside Road (1902-6); Maryhill, 1508 Maryhill Road (1903-5); Parkhead, 64 Tollcross Road (1904-6); Woodside, 343 St George's Road (1902-5) and Hutchesontown, McNeil Street (1904-6, now Gorbals Economic Regeneration Centre).

Although fairly small buildings, they are all distinguished by their Edwardian Baroque details such as columned façades, corner domes and figurative stone and bronze sculpture by William Kellock Brown .

In 1905, however, Rhind was denied the crowning achievement in his association with Glasgow's libraries when his designs for the Mitchell Library Competition were placed third.

Outwith Glasgow his buildings include The Grange, now the Royal Golf Hotel, Dornoch (1897); a Public Library in London; and the Crown Church (1900-1) and an extension to the Town House, both in Inverness (1904).

Sources:

Useful links to other sites:

 
Works in our Database:
#74 1: Craigpark (Dennistoun),
Dennistoun Public Library, 2a Craigpark
Figurative Programme (1905)
Sculptor: WK Brown;
Architect: JR Rhind
#212 2: Landressy Street (Bridgeton),
Bridgeton District Library, 23 Landressy Street
Figurative Programme (1906)
Sculptor: WK Brown;
Architect: JR Rhind
#214 3: Langside Road (Govanhill),
Govanhill and Crosshill Public Library, 170 Langside Road
Figurative Programme (1906)
Sculptor: WK Brown;
Architect: JR Rhind; Builder: John Emery & Sons
4: Maryhill Road (Maryhill),
Maryhill Public Library, 1508 Maryhill Road
Figurative Programme (1905)
Sculptor: WK Brown; Architect: JR Rhind; Builder: W & J Taylor
#219 5: McNeil Street (Gorbals),
Former Laurieston District Library, 192 McNeil Street
Figurative Programme (1904-6)
Sculptor: WK Brown;
Architect: JR Rhind
#284 6: St George's Road (Woodlands),
Woodside Public Library, 343-7 St George's Road
Figurative Programme (1905)
Sculptor: WK Brown;
Architect: JR Rhind; Builder: John Porter & Sons
7: Tollcross Road (Tollcross),
Parkhead Public Library, 64-80 Tollcross Road
Figurative Programme (1906)
Sculptor: WK Brown; Architect: JR Rhind
 
Open Full Sculpture Database

Click here to return to the top.

All images and biographies are our copyright and may not be reproduced
in any form whatsoever without our express permission.
Home Page |  Sculpture Database |  Sculptors & Designers |  Architects, Builders & Foundries |  Quick Tour
Acronyms |  Glossary |  Bibliography |  Useful Links |  About Us |  Privacy Policy |  Copyright |  Contact Us
Our visitor count: from 1st Jan 2002
For sculpture and architecture: we have over 300 biographies of sculptors and architects connected with Glasgow, Scotland.

 
© 2001-14 glasgowsculpture.com