Born in Paris, where he initially worked as a joiner, he later
studied sculpture under Francois Rude, Alexandre Guionnet and
Pierre Mene, and produced public sculpture, wax groups, and small
animals and birds in bronze.
His Parisian group A Royal Bengal Tigress bringing the first food to its Young
(1866) was reproduced twice for the
New York based businessman, John S. Kennedy, who presented the casts
to Glasgow, his home town, and New York, where he later settled. The Glasgow
copy was the first sculpture erected in Kelvingrove Park (1867).
public work is the equestrian statue of Duke Charles of Brunswick in
He exhibited at the Paris Salon from 1846, and won
medals for his work in 1851, 1863, and at the Exposition Universelle,