The son of a wheelwright, his mother's encouragement of his early
interest in drawing and carving led him to study at Lambeth School
of Art, 1861, and the RA
From 1867, he spent his the rest of his career working for Doulton
& Co., of Lambeth, becoming their chief modeller.
He designed decorative tiles, animal groups and terracotta reliefs
on buildings, including Doulton's.
Many of the firm's exhibits in the Kelvingrove International Exhibition,
1888, were of his design, together with a large Terracotta Fountain crowded
with Biblical figures which stood under the dome of the main building.
He also contributed to the firm's stands at the World Fair, Chicago, in
1893. In 1895, Doulton's mounted an exibition of his work at their Glasgow
showroom in Bothwell Street.
He also worked independently on commissions for ecclesiastical and
public sculpture; executing relief panels for the Guards Chapel,
Wellington Barracks, London (1878), a Reredos for York Minster
(1876-9) and the Henry Fawcett Monument, London (dem.).
In 1896, he produced the bronze portraits on the Sir Charles Cameron
Memorial Drinking Fountain and Clock Tower, Charing Cross, Glasgow.
Tinworth exhibited at the RA
, vol. 2, 26 November, 1895
Kelvingrove Exhibition Catalogue, 1888
Useful links to other sites: