Firm of architectural carvers formed by Jack Mortimer (d. 1961),
Andrew Willison (d. c. 1944) and Edward Graham (b. 1914).
After training with
James C Young
in the 1920s, and studying stone carving at GSA
, Willison taught carving
at the school, 1934-8.
As apprentices, they worked on several buildings in Glasgow; e.g.
200 St. Vincent Street (1927, sculpture completed, 1953), for which Willison executed the famous IOU
capital for Dawson, and 81-107 Bothwell Street (1927-31), alongside
apprentices from Italy and New Zealand.
As partners, from 1938, they produced sculpture for the Empire
Exhibition, Bellahouston Park (1938, lost), and produced statues, carving and
Stations of the Cross for churches by Jack Coia; with Mortimer the
major contributor at St Columbkille's, Rutherglen (1940) St Kevin's,
Bargeddy (1950); St Simon's, Partick (1956) and St Paul's, Shettleston
Mortimer also executed the St Aloysius College War Memorial, Glasgow
(1948) and the relief portrait on the memorial to the Very Rev John
White, South Leith Parish Church, Lothian (1952).
In 1953, the firm was employed to complete the figurative sculpture on
J J Burnet
's 200 St Vincent Street. This they did with the two crouching figures above the entrance. These are, in fact, portraits of
and his wife, Isa (archive photographs of the sculptors at work on the project are reproduced in
, pp. 375-6).
In 1955 they executed the Old College Gateway Plaque, High
Street, to a design by A Graham Henderson, which marked the original
site of Glasgow University (the plaque has since been moved to the south
entrance of the University's main building at Gilmorehilll, c. 1997).
The firm closed after Mortimer's death in 1961.