Glasgow firm of building contractors originating in 1870, with
John Morrison (1836-1919).
Thomas Mason (1844-1924) joined him in 1876, becoming a partner
in 1879, and thereafter they traded as Morrison & Mason.
They specialised in building waterworks, docks, railway
construction, tenements, villas and public and commercial buildings.
Among these are, the General Post Office, George Square (1875-78);
Her Majesty's (now Citizen's) Theatre, 121 Gorbals Street (1878, facade
destroyed, 1977); the Clyde Navigation Trust Building (now Clyde Port),
Broomielaw (1882-1908); Great Western Road Bridge (1895); Ruchill Hospital
(1895-1900) and extensions to Rottenrow Hospital (1905).
In 1886, they were responsible for relocating and rebuilding the Old College
Gateway as the Pearce Lodge, University Avenue.
Their most important building in Glasgow is the City Chambers (1882-90).
Outwith Glasgow, the firm constructed the George A. Clark Town Hall,
Paisley (1882-85); Mugdock Tunnel (1886) and Birmingham Corporation Water
They also built their own residences at Craigie Hall (Mason, 1872)
and Sherbrooke House (Morrison, 1896).
Knighted in 1909, Mason managed the firm after Morrison's death and
entered public life as a Councillor and served on the Boards of the
Merchants House, Trades House and Clyde Trust.
- The Bailie, vol. 23, no. 573, 10 October, 1883;
[Obit, Morrison], vol 30, 16 April, 1919;
[City Chambers], vol. 20, 20 July, 1883, p. 34;
, [Clyde Trust Building], vol. 20, 7 September, 1883, p. 118;
- Morgan, Nicholas J, in Slaven & Checkland
, vol 2;
- Pollokshields Monthly, June, 1983.