An Edinburgh sculptor, he was born in Logie-Pert, Angus, and trained under D W Stevenson. He produced portrait busts, architectural sculpture, medallions for funerary monuments and war memorials.
For Glasgow's Necropolis, he produced the Andrew Sclanders Nelson Monument in grey granite, which featured a large bronze panel and other enrichments which have long been missing (1913). Edinburgh’s Dean Cemetery is well endowed with his portrait panels. These include the sculptor Charles McBride (1903); the Advocate William Thomson (1911); and J W Fyfe, the Chief Valuer Of Scotland (1913).
He also executed the war memorials at Montrose (1920); Morningside Free Church, Edinburgh (1921), and Cupar, the latter in collaboration with John Kinross (1922).
His architectural work includes the statue of St Andrew on Freemasons Hall, George Street, Edinburgh (1922), and the King Edward VII Gates at Holyrood Palace (1920).
A portrait bust of Gamley, by J S Rhind, was exhibited at the RGIFA
in 1892. He died in Paris whilst supervising the casting of his bronze statue
of Robert Burns for Wyoming, USA (1929).