One of Glasgow's oldest iron foundries producing ornamental castings, also known as the Phoenix Foundry.
The firm was established by Thomas Edington at 52 Queen Street,
and later moved to 38 and 50 Garscube Road, 1847-90, and then to 20
St. Vincent Lane.
They cast the ornamental gates to the Jew's Burying Ground,
Necropolis (1832, lost), from a design by John Park of Anderston,
and the gates to the Necropolis itself (1838) from a design by
The foundry also produced ordnance for the British army, some of which was used
in the Crimean war.
Their largest commission was for the splendid Phoenix Park Fountain, which was gifted to
Glasgow by 'Sweetie' Buchanan, of John Buchanan & Bros. Ltd, a local confectioner, and which stood in Phoenix Park, Cowcaddens (c. 1891).
Named after the foundry which occupied the site until 1890, the park was 'restored' in 1959, but the fountain, which had by then
become delerict, was demolished. The fountain can be seen in a photograph of 1911, reproduced in
Walter Gilmore's Keep Off The Grass (1996).
Edington's son, James Edington, was involved with the Eagle Foundry in
Port Dundas, where he was associated with John McDowall, of McDowall Steven & Co.
, Phoenix Park restoration, 31st August, 1959, p. 9 (ill.);
- Gilmour (1996) (ill.);